To say the least, August has been a hectic and chaotic period for me this year. It all started in late July when I along with 14 colleagues were let go from my job due to cut backs. Living in a foreign city not speaking the language fluently made me slightly panic for an hour or two until I remembered that there are lots of opportunities in Amsterdam for an ambitious lady such as myself.
I was lucky as I was given two months notice, however, was able to find a job within one month. Although only having been job hunting for a month, it hasn’t been without frustration and doubt: Doubt in myself, my abilities and competencies along with questioning if I should stay in Amsterdam. As you know, I am quite keen on moving around and settle in different foreign cities for a period of time, however, I simply am not done with Amsterdam yet. Amsterdam is just such a lovely city! Therefore, I quickly decided to stay. Figuring out my next move and determining what direction I would like to go from here have proved rather frustrating but now I have a clear idea of where I want to go. Although I am sad to leave my current job and the wonderful team, I am thrilled at an opportunity to do something more me. Yesterday was the day when I signed a new contract with an amazing company in the heart of Amsterdam. I am so incredibly excited to start this new adventure and chapter of my life as a Recruitment Coordinator. I truly believe that this is the start of something wonderful and amazing!
In my darkest hours of frustration and insecurity though, I came up with a little list to keep myself positive and optimistic that might help you in your dark hours too. Sharing is caring so here it is:
- We all have them, the bad days
- However, instead of dwelling on the negative, it’s important to see the positive in them
- Truth is, they make you appreciate the good times so much more
- And you grow stronger and more resilient because of them
- If you need it, though, allow yourself to have some time being frustrated, angry and sad
- What you’re feeling today, at this moment, does not define you as a person. It’s how you deal with it in the longer run that does
- Tomorrow is a fresh start and you can make new opportunities rise
- Asking for help and assistance does not make you weak. On the contrary, it shows that you are aware of and willing to change things in your life because you know they are not optimal for you
- There is so much love around you. All you need is to pick up the phone and call the people that guarantee a smile on your lips
- Everyone doubts themselves and their abilities at times
- Comparing yourself to others will cause nothing but sadness. They are not you and they don’t want the same things in life – therefore, it’s silly to compare in the first place
- Be true to yourself and determine what you want and need in life to make you happy – then go for it!
- Taking babe steps is better than taking no steps at all – it’s a process
- Remember, the best is yet to come!
- We live in a world where music, chocolate and Disney exist
What keeps you positive and optimistic on a bad day? Please, do share!